Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bonjour-Hi from Montreal





Nathan and I are enjoying our trip out to Montreal and we've had some very fun adventures! Getting to our hotel was probably the craziest. After we arrived in Montreal we debated whether we should take a taxi or try to find a shuttle to our hotel. A taxi from the airport starts at $35 dollars so we decided to try to find another route. Montreal doesn't have free shuttles to hotels like back home so we had to buy a bus ticket and take a bus to the bus depot and board a shuttle there that would go to most hotels. It took us about an hour to get to our hotel but we were grateful that we choose the bus route as the traffic was extremely bad and the taxi would have been even more expensive then originally thought.

Our hotel is in chinatown in downtown Montreal!!!! I have been to chinatown in San Francisco but this was completely different! It may have been chinatown but everyone still spoke french! Nathan and I had a great time just walking around the city, going to Old Montreal which looks a lot like Europe (so I am told, I'll get there eventually) and the Old Port. We were excited to discover that Notre Dame Basilica was just a block away, which was something we both really wanted to see. It was a beautiful basilica, I can only imagine what Notre Dame in France is like. We've also explored the shopping district and I'm so proud of myself for not buying anything!

Being pregnant and traveling hasn't been too difficult, with all the walking we've done I'm sore in places I never knew I could be sore in :) Nathan reminds me that his legs are sore too, so that I don't feel like such a wimp. The hardest challenge for me so far was breakfast. Montreal isn't a super big on breakfast, most people just grab their morning coffee and a croissant. So our first morning Nathan left early to go find some breakfast. I'm so grateful for him, he walked about a mile before he found a little cafe and brought back some bagels and fruit. What a life saver! (Heads up the bagels here are reported to be better than in New York, they are a lot less dense) After that we asked around and found and IGA, which is their grocery store, and it was pretty close. We bought some breakfast items and some snacks so we wouldn't be in such a rush to find food in the morning.

We have eaten at some really great restaurants, I haven't tried Poutin yet which is a local favorite, but we have eaten some Crepes. I discovered that I'm much more of a dessert crepe person and Nathan discovered that he doesn't really like them in any form, but we are glad we tried them! We also ate at a pizza place called Pizzadelic, the pizza here has very thin crust which was heavenly and our Barq's Rootbeer was made with real sugar!!! not high fructose corn syrup like back home! (it tasted more like Coke from Mexico) so good so good! Also we have come to LOVE the Formage Nature (cheesecake) here, its not as rich and softer than back home and oh so DELICIOUS!!! I will miss all the cheese that they eat here with EVERYTHING and the desserts!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like so much fun! What a great vacation...you guys are smart to go on a fun trip together before the baby comes! By the way when do you find out little lentil's gender? We are so excited & can't wait!!

Shayla and James said...

That is where James went on his mission-french speaking of course and loves the putton!!! It sounds like you are having a fun adventure!!! Live it up while you can. We need to get back there one day. Happy Halloween!

Than & Lina said...

Looks like fun. I recommend you go to Europe when you aren't expecting though :)

Stephanie said...

I hope you don't mind, I found your blog through the Brady's. I'm so excited to hear that your expecting. Congratulations. Congrats also on owning a home, that's exciting, I can't wait till we get one. :) I like your hair, you look great!